Thursday, March 8, 2012

On my mind lately..



That's how many miles I will be running at the end of the month. I'm training for my first half-marathon with some friends, and we are going to Austin for the ZOOMA race, and a girls weekend. It's fun, but draining. On my running days sometimes I find I don't have enough energy left to be a good mom. But I'm excited for the challenge, happy to be healthy & fit,  and anxious to check this off my "bucket list". I'm also afraid I might pass out at mile 11 and get carried away on a stretcher.

Also on my mind - the Easter season. I've followed some of my non-Catholic friends in giving up something for Lent, even though we aren't Catholic. I think it is a good practice to "go without" for a season. Right now I am going without Facebook, and caffeinated drinks. Both have been much more difficult than expected. For one, Facebook has decided to email me friendly reminders of what I've missed! I'll get an email that says "Friends A, B, C have posted popular pictures and status updates.. you have 2 pending notifications... 3 unread messages...etc". It's annoying.
Caffeine has been hard to go without... because of the 13.1 I'm working towards. After doing a 10 mile run I really would like to sit down with a Dr Pepper. Or a Monster Energy drink. But I know I am better without them.

 And finally... Scotland's on my mind. One of my neighbors has a flowerbed full of daffodils, and I thought how beautiful Aberdeenshire must be right now with daffodils all over the hills. Then last weekend we were watching a movie on Disney, and saw previews for the new movie Brave. It tugged at my heart. The Scottish accents, the men in kilts, the Highland Games, the majestic castles, and the most beautiful countryside in all the world. I missed Scotland. Plus... the princess has wild & crazy hair just like my Lydia, and is just as brute. Can't wait to see it. I am happy with my life here, but sometimes I really miss Scotland. How blessed we are to have experienced it.

 
And that's about all that's going on with us at the moment. My days are filled with transporting kids to school, soccer, dance, and keeping them alive and fed. Not too exciting, but I love this job.

5 comments:

Amelia said...

You are right, that girl in Brave does look like Lydia! I have given up diet coke for Lent, and I feel GREAT for it, but sometimes, you do think, one would just hit the spot! I'm still training for the 5K, can't imagine I'll ever do a half marathon, but who knows? We all miss you so much here too, I will try and take some pictures of daffodils and post them on my blog, so you can see them!

Belinda said...

awww! must look out for that movie sounds fun. Hope everything go's well with your training. What else have you got left on your bucket list??? think I may make a list for my 40th as in my mind I enter a new era and phase of my life..(still got a few years to think about it yet!!!) miss you all x

Stacey said...

Happy you posted, been wondering how you guys are doing. Good luck at the marathon!!!

Info for you said...

I can't wait to see Brave. I was so excited when I saw the preview. I too miss all the things you talked about and planted daffodils in my front yard as soon as we moved back so they could remind me of our home in Scotland! They are starting to come up and I can't wait. I too like the US, but really miss beautiful Scotland :(

Lyndsay said...

We miss you too here in Scotland! Spring has sprung because it has been so mild. The drive up to the hotel looks lovely with the daffodils and snowdrops. Good luck with your run, I missed my first 10k last weekend because of an injury. Warm up well and don't start off too quickly, I am paying the price now! Love to you all xxx