Monday, August 6, 2012

Aurora, Colorado

On our way home from family vacation, we took a detour to Denver for some business meetings that Josh had to attend to. Our hotel was in Aurora, Colorado, right near the Denver airport. One night we wanted to take the girls to the new Ice Age movie, so we looked up the nearest movie theater, and there was a Cinemark Century 16 in Aurora. We loaded up the kids and were driving to the theater, and when we were halfway there, Josh says "Aurora is not really a great part of town, I think we should just go to the other one." Josh was familiar with the area from his years at CSM. So we turned around and headed back toward the city to another theatre. It was a nice, fun evening.

Then two days later... one of the worst massacres in US history happened in that Cinemark in Aurora. It was creepy. Josh just said "I knew Aurora was bad news".
Of course, bad things can happen anywhere, and nothing happened in Aurora the night we were there, but I like to think that sometimes there is a still small voice that will keep us safe, if we are just prepared to listen. Maybe this was practice. I am thankful for the voice of the Spirit, and hope that Josh and I will always be prepared to listen.

Our stay in Colorado was short, but we still managed to visit Golden and Josh's beloved Colorado School of Mines. We also visited the Denver Zoo.

Scarlett was shaking when she saw the elephant. She was terrified!

We loved the bears!

All 3 munchkins on the zoo carousel


Our favorites.. the cheetahs


We also enjoyed finding all the animals from the movie Madagascar. Claire would say "We need to find Gloria!" ... the hippo. Then we also had to find Alex the lion, Melman the giraffe, Marty the zebra... etc etc. We didn't stay the whole day, as it was miserably hot, so once the kids couldn't think of any more Madagascar animals to find, we packed up and called it a day. The girls were fantastic, and I was so thankful they were good for me since I was on my own while Josh was in meetings. They really are good girls. Love 'em!


3 comments:

Marti said...

No picture of the illuminated "M"?? Dale tells me all the time that it is lit up year round and our "Y" is not. I tell him that's why their tuition is so high. On a lighter note, don't you love the Denver Zoo, I'm from Denver and grew up going there. Glad you are safe!!

Kurt n Des said...

wow that's crazy. I definately think it was the spirit. Looks like a fun little stop

Stacey said...

I love the picture of all 3 girls on the carousel.