Thursday, December 26, 2013

Yes it was -20

 
I'm not made for this. I am from Midland Texas, where our summers had record-breaking heat. Let me describe what its like at -20F (-30 Celsius)
 
- When you go outside the snot in your nose freezes. It's such a weird feeling. I constantly wanted to pick.
- Your car battery will die. Unless it's fired up regularly, and parks in a garage. Our minivan was parked in the garage, but we weren't driving it because of the snow. It died.
- It's so cold there is no ice on the road, just fluffy snow that's never melted. Its like driving through piles of sifted flour. It's really quite beautiful
- Speaking of driving, we haven't seen the pavement in over a week. It's white everywhere, you don't know where the road ends and the sidewalk begins. Just follow the car in front of you.
- You can't hold any conversations outside, because your whole face is numb and its a labor to speak. And you probably have frozen snot on your face.
- Every storm drain around town has steam rising from it. Eww
- I'm pretty sure steam escapes my front door when I open it.
- When I open the door to watch the kids go to the bus stop, my extremities start to go numb just standing in the doorway.
- Oh yeah...and Billings NEVER CANCELS SCHOOL. Not even a delay. So my kids were out there at the bus stop.
BUT
- The night before, Billings Public Schools will call you to remind you to dress your kids warm and to tell you to walk to a different bus stop if you are somewhere hilly.
 
 
Whatever. The kids didn't mind too much. I guess they aren't as Texan as their mother ;)


 

No comments: