Purple POWER!
That's the name of our PeeWee Girls soccer team. I am so excited about this opportunity to coach because I have a passion for the game, I'm competetive, and I know my Lydia will be awesome.
The Rules: No scores are kept, its only 4v4, no goalies, and no off-sides. At this age, soccer is just about having FUN, and that's what we're trying to do.
We had our first game last Saturday, and it was funny. Lydia and Shylo were captains, and even though they won the toss, they chose to let the other team kick off! How sweet.
As I'm giving my pre-game talk to the girls, I hear things like"Hey look - we have the same shoes!"
"Why do those girls have orange?"
"Coach Cassie, can we have our snack now?"
and my favorite..
"Mom, how come we don't have a real coach?"
As the game progressed there were even more laughs. We scored the first goal of the game - on ourselves! And we all cheered.Unfortunately only half of our girls will actually go after the ball, while the others just watch, or jog along with their friends and make no real attempt to get the ball.
Lydia has the unfortunate fate of being the coach's daughter - so she didn't get to start the game. I don't want to look like I'm playing favorites! But then I felt bad that I made her sit out.
In the 2nd half Lydia was off to a great start. She did the kickoff, and was dribbling down the field pretty fast! Then something unimaginable happened - the other team got the ball *gasp*. And this really offended Lydia. She stopped in her tracks and WOULD NOT MOVE. She just stood there and pouted like a baby! I cheered her on, and the game went on, but Lydia just stood there on the other side of the field, pouting.
What?! That is not my daughter. We play soccer for family night, and she is awesome and aggressive. She does well at practice. So what's the deal?Is it because her mommy is the coach, so she knows I'll come to comfort her? She walked up to me with a tear-streaked face and wanted me to hold her, but I refused. I just held her hand and tried to get her involved, but it wasn't working. So she sat out and had a talk with daddy.
So this week we are trying something different with Lydia. She has to be tough, and learn that the other girls are the "bad guys".
5 comments:
Yay Soccer!!!!
LOL. Good luck with all that!
Soccer with four year olds. Poor Lydia and you!
Four year old soccer is my favorite to watch! Cassie, I know you are a good coach since you helped coach one of my daughters. Hang in there, and have fun!!
In a few games from now the crowd will shout Lydia, Lydia, Lydia when she scores her goals.
Love Pat xxx
Post a Comment