
We went to class, and walking around campus it was obvious which students had heard the news, and which were oblivious. Some classes were cancelled, but most of them went ahead. Every TV on campus had a small crowd around it, anxious for more answers. By noon it was announced that all BYU students and faculty were invited to the Marriott Center for a prayer devotional that afternoon.
The nation was in shock. We wanted answers fast.
Through the week, the pieces of the puzzle came together. Al-Qaeda was responsible, and the US was ready to hunt them down. Within a month we were at war.
I remember being so proud to be an American. I was so proud of our country. There were so many heroes - firefighters, NYPD, other first-responders who gave their lives....and then there were the ordinary heroes, the coworkers who helped evacuate stairwells, and the brave passengers of Flight 93. What made me especially proud was our resolve. I got chills seeing all the American flags up everywhere. We were unified. We were one nation, under God, indivisible, and all supporting President Bush as he led our nation in the War on Terror.
I will never forget. And the US never forgot. It took nearly 10 years to hunt down bin Laden, and it took an elite operation by the US Navy Seals to do it. Now he's gone.
I was a little disturbed when bin Laden's death was announced that there was a fake quote from Martin Luther King being circulated on facebook that said something like "I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." I, for one, rejoiced. And I think the great Dr. would rejoice too that such an evil man is no longer on the face of this earth.
We will never forget.
God bless America, and the troops who have served and are still fighting abroad to keep us safe and ensure that an attack like this will never happen again. I am so proud to be American.

2 comments:
I had been living in Scotland for exactly four days when it happened. I was home alone, Raymond was at University and watched in horror as my home country was changed forever. It made me realise how immportant the loved ones in our life are.
All I have to say is HECK Ya!
Post a Comment