Monday, October 29, 2012

Four kids, and other pregnancy ramblings

As most everyone knows by now, Josh and I are expecting our fourth child in April. For the first time we are feeling the weight of that question that we've been able to avoid for so long:
 
Are you done?
 
I always knew I would have at least four kids if God were to bless me with them. WHy?
I couldn't have just one, because an only child is usually spoiled rotten, and needs a sibling to play with. That's not always the case, but I'm not a good enough mom to control myself, and I'd spoil my child rotten.
I couldn't have just two, because everyone else has two, and I wouldn't get any sympathy for the mess my life is (your house is a mess? It shouldn't be, you only have 2 kids - get it together! You look like crap? Why? You only have two kids to deal with)
I couldn't have 3, because I don't want a middle child. Not all middle children have issues, but mine would.
 
But if you have 4 or more children, life is a party. When things go well, people think you are super-mom, and when they don't, well, it's just expected because "poor thing, you have your hands full"
 
So here she is - baby #4 (We don't know the sex, but we're assuming she's a she).
Instead of posting the profile pic, here is the scary frontal view of my little baby! Creepy little skeleton head :)
But... Are we done?
 
I think I am writing this post to convince myself that I am done... though in reality I won't seriously consider it until my fourth baby is happy and healthy in my arms and I can look at her and feel comfortable that she is my last.
From the beginning, when Josh and I developed our 10-year plan for our family - yes, we're both engineers - we decided to have 4 children because of logistics and practicality. Everything evens out. With 4 kids, everyone has a window seat in the car. At amusement parks everyone has a buddy to ride with. On airplanes we split up 3 & 3, and in hotel rooms its 2 to a bed with the sofabed.  If you add another child to this, the degree of complexity increases to a level that I am not comfortable with.
 
Though the real reason I want to feel like I am done is because I have realized, especially in this first trimester, that I am not a great mom to my other children when I am pregnant.
I am TIRED. I can't keep up with the chores and picking up after the girls like I used to. And the worst part is that I haven't been as available to my kids. Every afternoon when Scarlett naps is usually my special time with Claire. We play games or make pictures, but lately I have used my special time with Claire to just rest. And bless her heart, one time I fell asleep on the couch and woke up to see that she had put her "cozy blanket" over me and snuggled up next to me for a nap too. I love her so much.
I also have a SHORT temper. Sadly it rears its ugly face toward the people I love most - my husband and my girls. They have gotten a little used to it now, as one night I was angry with Lydia for taking so long to get ready for bed, and she just smirked and said "Mom, sometimes when you yell I just ignore you because I know you don't mean it." Ugh. I couldn't help but smile at my defeat.  I've definitely apologized too many times to that girl.  
I am also unreasonably EMOTIONAL. I don't like for my girls to see me cry, but its happened too much lately. I mean, heck, I cried watching 3:10 to Yuma the other day, which is a western, for cryin out loud. I'm a mess!
 
So yes, I think we may be done. When we have four beautiful little girls and are tempted to try one more time for a boy... I will come and read this post. And I will be so grateful for the little angels that are my daughters right now and will want to move forward and focus on being a great mom for them.
 

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I LOVE THIS POST! Beckett wasnt a week old and people were asking if we were done, lol! You guys make BEAUTIFUL babies, how ever many you decided to have!

larshannon said...

5 is a weird number to stop at. Everything is uneven. Everything. And not having a window seat is actually a big deal because someone is always in your space.

That's it. Go for six. It evens out again.

Kurt n Des said...

Great post and I think you're a great mom! Just the way your girls are adjusting to your emotions and naps shows that you have taught them how to care for others and understand mood swings. Good luck with this pregnancy!