Sunday, May 25, 2014

The simple things in life

Sometimes it's easy to complain about the job situation here in Billings. When Josh was first offered the job that brought us here, it was in North Dakota. We quickly rejected that option, as there are a few negative things I've heard about life in the middle of the Bakken, and we weren't anxious to live in such a small town. Then later he was offered the same job, but with the option to live in Billings and work 3 days a week in ND. We considered it, prayed about it, and felt it was a good move for our family and for our future.
We moved here, loved it, and then somehow 3 days a week turned into 4 days a week. We still know this was a good move for us. But we only have our Josh on the weekends.
It was difficult at first, but as time has passed we've gotten used to our routines, and we "just do it", as they say. I know one day I will look back and wonder how I did it on my own, with 4 small kids, one just a newborn, in a new town with no family.
Then I have quiet moments to think about how blessed I am to have 4 little angels looking after me. They are so sweet. There is something special about them. I am so grateful that they get along, they help me out, and are generally low-maintenance kids.
 
So for this post I just went through my camera photo album to pick out random snapshots of my life. The ordinary moments that bring a smile to my face.
 
Like when Scarlett asks me - almost daily - to have a tea party with her in her playroom. She busies herself about her kitchen, setting timers, getting dishes, and collecting her babies to eat with us, then she sets up all our dinnerware
 
Or when the girls want Ramen for dinner (yay!) just so they can try using their chopsticks in their own ways.

When I take Scarlett to our new grocery store and she anxiously selects her own produce and snacks for her cart, following me around the store asking me what's next on the list.
When Hadley yanks at my lips while she's settling down with her bottle.
When we treat ourselves to fast food after soccer practice. The girls know the kids meal menus at McDonald's, Subway, and Wendy's.
When Hadley follows me around. Everywhere.
But I can't complain because she's such a cool kid, rollin with the flow as I drag her to games and activities.
Luckily I have Scarlett around to help me look after her.
...and Claire.

We spend a lot of time in the car, but our journeys are always pleasant. We find songs to sing along to, or we sing along as we watch Frozen for the 210th time.

 
We've also been lucky to meet good friends in the neighborhood. Each of the girls has a "best friend" that lives nearby. Almost every day there is a knock on the door and kids that want to play.

I've met some great friends too, and we get together for book club, movies, church activities, and playdates with our kids. One sunny afternoon we met up at the local zoo. And when 3 or 4 Mormon moms get together, that's about 20 kids ;)
 
But by far the best part of Josh's schedule, is Thursday night when he comes home.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder. That's been true for every one of us, and it's a true blessing to be reminded how much we really love our family.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

Those girls are just darling. I love that noodle picture. I'm sure it has been hard with Josh away, but I'm sure you do an awesome job. Miss you guys!

Jose and Mary Dominguez said...

So sweet! Sofie pinches my nose and yanks my hair while she settles. 4 days/week on your own must be difficult but I'm certain you are doing a wonderful job!