Sunday, April 24, 2011

SOMETIMES I miss my free health care

2011 has been a very sick year for us. I was warned by one of my expat friends "Cass, be ready, because your family has been out of the country and you are going to get hit by every bug imaginable this season." She was right. All three of my girls have taken turns with strep throat, flu strains, stomach bugs, allergies and ear infections. Even Josh and I were knocked out on occasion - me with a sinus infection, and him with a stomach virus. Unfortunately with these illnesses comes frequent visits to the doctor, and lots of perscription drugs. We've spent a lot of money on health care this year, and its made me almost miss the free health care in Scotland. Almost.

I hate nothing more than waiting in a doctor's office with kids. THREE kids. And every time we go to the pediatrician I am waiting at least an hour to get in. Sometimes close to two! Why? Because our particular doc is popular, and is always overbooked. Why? Because more patients means more money. In Scotland I don't remember waiting more than 10 minutes to get in to a GP. That was awesome.

Then there's the insurance. Sometimes I'm paying a "co-pay", sometimes I'm paying a full amount to meet a deductable, sometimes I don't pay anything at all. I can't keep it straight. But either way, its expensive, and then you have to buy perscriptions. Nearly $100 for a bottle of Tamiflu? Really? For February and March I had a designated space on my kitchen counter for all of our drugs. Pain relievers, fever reducers, antibiotics, and teething gels. Yes, on top of the illnesses, we've had a teether. So yes, I miss the days of free health care, free perscriptions for kids, quick doctor visits, and health care available to all. But I still prefer the quality, professional health care here in the US for my family.

I am so glad to have a Pediatrician again, someone who is an expert on children. I am so glad to have an OB/Gyn again, someone who knew me by name, and my history, and was there for me when I delivered Scarlett. Neither of these were available in Scotland, unless you were specifically referred by a GP, and even then sometimes it took months to get an appointment. And yes, we had private insurance, but you'll find that in places where free health care is available, there are very few private care options. They just can't compete.

I am so glad to be able to get perscriptions again - easily. In Scotland there were a few times I would take my kids to the GP with a concern, and they would say "Let's wait a few days, then come back and we'll see how they are." Seriously? I'm a mom, and I hate dragging my kids to that disgusting, old, health center. I've already waited a few days, and that is why I'm here! Then I learned that GPs are trained to say that, because if its serious enough, the patient will be back. Fair enough, but that would never happen in the US.

I am so glad that my family's health care is in the hands of doctors and professionals who are the best in the world. Sadly, they are the best because of money. They're competetive, always wanting to improve, to get more recognition, and more patients, which leads to more money.

I think of all the senior citizens who filled the waiting room at the GP's office in Scotland, and I couldn't help but think "Isn't it great, that at this time in their lives, when their bodies are failing so, they are able to come to the GP as often as they need to. And its free."

So I go back and forth as to whether I like the health care here or there, but I think in the end most people agree with me, that both systems are highly flawed. It'd be nice to have something somewhere in the middle, but there are too many people "in the way" to make that possible.

3 comments:

Belinda said...

We have frere perscriptions for adults too now! (in Scotland anyway!)

Amelia said...

I agree with you here about there being a better middle ground. That Inverurie Health Centre needs a facelift. For sure. On a side note, adorable Claire pic! She looks more and more like you!

Brimaca said...

Totally with you in "somewhere in the middle." If you need me to watch two girls while you take a third to the doctor, I will totally do it.